> Image Map

Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Dinner for Two: Cheesesteak Sandwiches

I was looking for a quick, yummy and different idea to throw together for dinner a few nights ago. I had a lot of extra pepper jack cheese leftover so I stumbled across the idea of cheesesteak sandwiches.
 
 
I threw these together in a quick fifteen minutes then baked another fifteen minutes along with some baked waffle fries and called it dinner.
 
 
Serves Two (I didn't stuff my own as full and was able to make another one the next day as well)
 
Ingredients:
 
¾ pound of thinly sliced ribeye steak - I froze mine for an hour before slicing to make it easier.
1 medium green bell pepper, sliced into strips
1 medium onion, sliced into strips
6 oz. portobello mushrooms, sliced
Pepper jack cheese - I used sliced only because I had it leftover from another recipe.
Salt and pepper, to taste
2 sub rolls, sliced in half (but not all the way through)
 
Instructions:
 
Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Place the two sliced sub rolls on a two pieces of aluminum foil. Set aside.
 
In a large skillet, saute onions and green peppers for about 3-4 minutes, then add in the mushrooms, and cook until softened, about 3 minutes. Place in a bowl and set aside.
 
In the same skillet, cook the steak, breaking it into smaller pieces, until all is cooked through, about 5 minutes. Add the onions and peppers back into the skillet and toss together (seasoning with salt and pepper, to taste).
 
To assemble the cheesesteaks: open one sub roll and add in half of the meat filling then top with pepper jack cheese or I thought provolone cheese would be good as well. Repeat for the second sub roll.
 
Tightly wrap each sub in aluminum foil then place directly on the oven rack for 15 minutes.
 
After 15 minutes, remove from oven and your cheesesteak sandwich is ready for you to unwrap carefully cause they will be hot!

Recipe can be found here on Pinterest
 
 
Obviously not the most healthy option but hey, sometimes you have to cheat right and it was quick! I drizzled mine with a little ranch and it was pretty tasty! I was a little worried about not marinating the steak or using any additional seasonings but I consulted many recipes and none called for a marinade. They were great without it and really had a lot of flavor after it was all put together. It was almost as good as Texadelphia. If you decide to make these, enjoy!
 
Image Map

No comments:

Post a Comment