> Image Map

Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Homemade Pecan Butter

A couple years ago I sampled some delicious pecan butter at a local craft show and it was nothing short of amazing. Being so amazing that they had the price of a very small jar marked up more than I was willing to cough up for the tiny jar of deliciousness. I simply said it is very tasty but I'll pass...as I walked off with visions of how I was going to recreate this recipe at home in my own kitchen.
 
Growing up my grandma and grandpa always had lots of pecans covering their backyard from their very large pecan tree that shaded the entire yard. My grandma had this handy little contraption that was used to collect the pecans into a little wire ball container as you walked and pushed the handle down on each pecan. I, being a few years younger, would walk around on my knees and pick up as many as I could to help. I remember these days like it was yesterday. To only have one more morning picking up pecans with her....I miss you grandma!
 
Anyways, since I was tiny we have always had plentiful of pecans around and now that I have acquired the love for baking from my grandma I am still very thankful that my mom provides me with bags of these delicious nuts each year. This weekend I whipped up my first batch of pecan butter of the season and some pumpkin bread for breakfast.
 
 
I found the general recipe online and then adapted to my own taste. If you love pecans, you will definitely love this yummy creamy butter!
 
 
Ingredients: 
About two cups of pecans, either whole or in pieces
Sea salt, to taste as preference
Few dashes of cinnamon 
 
 
Directions:
-  Pour the pecans into a large skillet and toast on medium heat until you can smell them roasting. Stirring often. This will take about six to eight minutes.

-  Pour the toasted pecans into a food processor and blend on high, pausing to scrape the sides with a spatula often. At first it will be very crumbly but the longer you blend as the oils from the pecans seep out you will be left with  super creamy goodness. Be patient, this will take about 15 minutes.
- Add a pinch of sea salt and a few dashes of cinnamon. Blend again to taste, adding more salt or cinnamon to your liking.
-Pour into small jar and seal tight with a lid. This should be stored in the refrigerator.
 
 
 
 
 
 
Ta-da, you will now have a very healthy and delicious snack. I eat mine with apple slices most of the time but since I'm loving all things pumpkin I smeared a slice of pumpkin bread with the butter this morning. I am watching my calories like a hawk right now so the rest of it will be eaten with apples but the butter is amazing on almost anything...bread, fruit and even on vanilla ice cream! The only downfall is that this recipe only makes one cup. Feel free to add more pecans for a larger batch. Enjoy!
 
 
 
 
I wonder if my grandma ever made or had pecan butter...
 
Image Map

1 comment:

  1. OH.MY. Why have I never heard of pecan butter before?? I must make this ASAP! Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete