> Image Map

Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Homemade Easy Instant Oatmeal Packets

I am not a big breakfast eater, at all, and if its not fast and easy then you can usually count me out. I try to find healthy, easy and on the go ideas to ensure I do eat breakfast. I typically grab anything that I can eat on my drive to work and unfortunately a lot of the time this means things that aren't so healthy, like many breakfast bars that are packed with sugar. I have also been a big fan of the Quaker weight control oatmeal but even that has more sugar than I would like to have. So, when I read Brittany's post at Perpetually Daydreaming where she shared these oatmeal packets I jumped on the idea!

These packets are fast, easy and low in sugar and preservatives. Since I know exactly what is going into my breakfast each morning I feel a lot better. I made five individual bags so all I have to do this week is grab one and pop in the microwave while I make my lunch for work.



Homemade Instant Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal


Ingredients
1/3 cup old fashioned oats
1 tablespoon powdered milk
1 tablespoon brown sugar (or less, to taste. I used about a half of tbsp)
pinch of salt
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1-2 tablespoons chopped dried apples
1 tablespoon raisins
1 tablespoon chopped walnuts (I left these out, but will add to my next batch)

Directions
Add all ingredients into individual bags.
To cook the oatmeal, add the contents of one packet and 2/3 cup water to a microwave safe bowl. Microwave on high 3-4 minutes, or until oats are softened and water is absorbed. 





These are so easy, took me all of fifteen minutes to put five bags together and I have breakfast for the whole week. AND so easy to eat on the go! You can find the originally recipe along with a couple of other flavor options here. Enjoy!
 

Image Map

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you liked these and posted about them. It makes me really want to try them now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing! I'm awful and remembering to eat breakfast.

    ReplyDelete