> Image Map

Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Purple Sweet Potato Skins with Brie and Toasted Walnuts

A couple of Sundays ago I was perusing through Sprouts Farmers Market when I came across purple sweet potatoes. I love finding new and different things to give me a challenge in the kitchen and I had only had purple sweet potatoes once and I had never prepared one. So I tossed it in my basket and began thinking of how I could make a delicious meal without simply just roasting it.  

I came across an idea on Pinterest that immediately made my mouth water, purple sweet potato skins with brie and walnuts. Yes, I knew I had to spin off this recipe idea and couldn't wait to whip these skins up that evening!


Purple Sweet Potato Skins with Brie and Toasted Walnuts
Recipe also here

Ingredients
2 Purple sweet potatoes (or however many you are needing- these are RICH and I planned one skin for each of us)
Freshly ground black pepper
1 Tablespoon melted butter
4 ounces brie with rind removed (I used 2ounces- 1 ounce per skin)
Walnut pieces (used about a 1/4 cup for one potato)
Real maple Syrup

Directions
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
Scrub your potatoes clean and pat them dry. Poke a small hole in the skin of each potato (so it doesn't explode in your oven) and bake in the oven for 35-45 minutes, or until just tender but not mushy for they wont hold form for the brie. Remove from oven and let cool.
Cut the potatoes in half. Scoop out some of the inside of the potatoes.  Season your halves with fresh ground pepper, and drizzle with belted butter. 
Place the skins on a baking sheet and return to the oven to bake for about 10 minutes, or until cripsy.
At this time I also placed by chopped walnut pieces on the baking sheet as well and toasted for a few minutes, just until you can start to smell them. 
Top each skin with 1 ounce of brie. Place the skins on a baking sheet and broil until the cheese is bubbly, about 5 minutes. Place your toasted walnuts on top and drizzle with maple syrup.
  

I served ours with roasted brussels sprouts and roasted herb chicken breasts. Like I mentioned, the skins are rich so if serving as a side you probably just want to plan on one skin per person. I also made small potato cakes with the insides of the potatoes I scooped out. I just mixed the potato with a little bit of melted butter and formed two patties and seared with coconut oil and sea salt in a small skillet. These were so tasty and a great little side that looked beautiful with our dinner!



I highly recommend these purple skins, they are delicious and really are so pretty to serve. Enjoy!

 
Image Map

No comments:

Post a Comment