> Image Map

Tuesday, February 21, 2017

Divine Direction 2 - Wisdom to Discern

If you missed my post last week introducing this short series I am doing covering a sermon series from Life.Church you can read it here. In the first post I discussed the first part of the four part series Divine Direction which covered power to become. In summary, seeking God for who we should become before asking what we should DO.

This week covers seeking the wisdom God has for us to know what we should do in life. So, if you are asking God 'What should I do God? What do you want me to do?' I hope you follow this series along. 


Divine Direction - 2
Wisdom to Discern
 
The decisions we make today determine the stories we will tell tomorrow. If you are like me and asking God what he wants you to do, all the time,  in your life then know he might simply show or tell us what to do but he will give us wisdom to make the right decisions. This is hard for me personally because I can be a very black or white kind of person and I want to know without a doubt, for sure, no looking back, without messing up what decision I am suppose to make.
 
"Perhaps I will stay with you for a while, or even spend the winter, so that you can help me on my journey, wherever I go. For I do not want to see you now and make only a passing visit; I hope to spend some time with you, if the Lord permits. But I will stay on at Ephesus until Pentecost, because a great door for effective work has opened to me, and there are many who oppose me." 1 Corinthians 16:6-9
 
"Getting wisdom is the wisest thing you can do! And whatever else you do, develop good judgement." Proverbs 4:7
 
Directional Wisdom - WALK - ASK - DECIDE  
 
If you are a follower of Jesus then he will show you the way to go. You just have to ask for that wisdom. So walk with him, then ask and then you will be able to decide. Easy right, ahh not so much. At least for me, I go back to the asking five thousand questions to God when really I just need to spend that time with him asking for wisdom. When walking with God remember there are so many aspects in our life that can help us make that walk right. Craig Groeschel, Pastor of Life.Church, talks about who you run with in life helps determine your walk with Jesus. "Show me your friends and I'll show you your future." Are your friends a good influence? It is almost impossible to live the right life with the wrong friends. Do life together with followers of Christ.
 
What about what you post and read on social media? Remember social media is definitely or can be an illusion of perfection. Often we are comparing our behind the scenes with others highlight reels. I know this is a HUGE issue that I struggle personally with. I often find myself comparing my reel to other blogger's highlight reels on social media. A lot of times I will literally catch myself thinking man, if only...and then I have to put my phone down and walk away. 
 
"If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you." James 1:5
 
When you spend time with him then he will give you wisdom. He can't give it to you when you are talking to him. How open is your communication with God? For me I find my days are much better when I start the day talking to God, usually while I shower in the mornings. When I'm in constant conversation with him it is much easier to have a good day then to be in the dumps. 
 
"The LORD says, "I will guide you along the best pathway for your life. I will advise you and watch over you." Psalm 32:8
 
We often make plans for ourselves in our hearts but God determines our steps. If you're like me you're thinking 'What if I make a mistake?' Well, we'll get wisdom from that. God guides, coaches and watches over us with wisdom. How cool is that?! Remembering God is not always going to show us specifically (like I would desperately LOVE him to do!) what to do but he'll give you wisdom to decide.

If you would like to watch the entire sermon on Wisdom to Discern or watch last week's message on asking God who you should become, you can do so here.

I mentioned last week that I am also reading Craig Groeschel's book Divine Direction as I blog on this four week series. If you are interested there is also a devotional to go along with the series on the YouVersion bible app that I'd love for you to join me daily in doing.
 
My goal for the week is to memorize this verse: "The LORD says, "I will guide you along the best pathway for your life. I will advise you and watch over you." Psalm 32:8 
 
AND if you are local and would like to join me THIS Thursday at the Life.Church Jenks campus for worship night it begins at 6:30 and would love for you to go with me! If you aren't local maybe you live close to another campus, locations here, all locations are having worship night and everyone is welcome! 

If I can pray for you, please let me know how!
 
 
Image Map

No comments:

Post a Comment